On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 08:17:18PM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 19:05, Anthony Wood wrote:

> > > When a mail comes into a server, they usually put in a "received"
> > > line which nowadays usually reports the IP address of the
> > > connecting server and what it says it's hostname is.
> > >
> > > You can send a mail message with a few recieved messages of your own like I've
> > > done with this one.
> >
> > Sorry, looks like postfix and/or mutt strips it out.  What a responsible program.
> >
> > This is what I had:

> > > beast.switchonline.com.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id C08CC53B for
> > +<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:57:54 +1000 (EST)
> >

> > > momandpop.com is what the server said it was, cia.whitehouse.gov is the reverse
> > > lookup of the actual ip address sent from (4.3.2.1)
>
> Here's one of mine:
>
> Sender:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (8.12.9/8.12.7/SUN-2.7) with ESMTP id h7SCxV7X003565 for
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:59:39 -0400 (EDT)
>
> So, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is spoofed, but the originating IP is correct?  Or

I guess that IP could be spoofed too. I'm a bit hazy on the black (hat) arts.

Spam.pl a common complaints script uses whois to check the abuse email address
for the ip addresses and sends a complaint to them.

Make sure you list mailservers of any lists you are on (e.g. slug)
as "friends".

> just the reporting server siaag1af.compuserve.com?  Does compuserve take
> any steps to verify the included sender IP?

Dunno.

Woody