(Sorry for the delay in replying.)

Please note I didn't ask "what matches my workload" or "please architect my
setup for me" :P Mainly I just wanted something for a couple basic sanity
checks that hardware is performing in the general ballpark of what it
should, that there weren't any pathological issues w/ the drivers under
SmartOS. Secondarily would be something that can run under native, LX, and
KVM to compare relative overheads, and to compare against the same hardware
running, say Ubuntu Server or CentOS. If it were something that there was a
public database to compare against, that would be a bonus.

FWIW, the main production workload that I will care about is a not-well
threaded java server app, so single-threaded performance, coupled with a
large-ish MySQL DB with frequent, random I/O both read and write.

I went down the rabbit-hole of attempting to to use the Phoronix Test Suite
since it "supports" Solaris and BSD, has some pre-defined Java and Database
test setups, and can compare to publicly recorded reports. However chasing
down the dependencies and chasing down the various "this test failed"
errors was taking up too much time. Looks like I'll stick w/ Bonnie++ and
IOZone via PkgSrc.  (Which means I'll have to start over w/ CentOS)