> On Sep 30, 2016, at 7:43 PM, Matthew Parsons <matt...@aspergerexperts.com>
> wrote:
>
> FWIW, the main production workload that I will care about is a not-well
> threaded java server app, so single-threaded performance, coupled with a
> large-ish MySQL DB with frequent, random I/O both read and write.
>
> I went down the rabbit-hole of attempting to to use the Phoronix Test Suite
> since it "supports" Solaris and BSD, has some pre-defined Java and Database
> test setups, and can compare to publicly recorded reports. However chasing
> down the dependencies and chasing down the various "this test failed" errors
> was taking up too much time. Looks like I'll stick w/ Bonnie++ and IOZone via
> PkgSrc.  (Which means I'll have to start over w/ CentOS)

My experience is that unless you're running something that's completely and
utterly canned (no tweaking whatsoever to get it working), there is too much of
a repeatability gap to compare with other people's results, so you're back to
running all your test cases yourself.  I'd check to see if Bonnie++ and IOZone
are complex enough to give you a serious workout (and of course you need to
read and write stuff that's bigger than your disk cache, which in ZFS land is
"approaching the size of your RAM"), so be skeptical of numbers that sound
really good.

Be prepared for some surprises though.  I hear people talk so much about
needing an slog to get decent performance that I decided to do a bakeoff with a
test case of running compiles.  The result was a measurable-but-not-significant
performance hit (no, I didn't run multiple times) for adding an slog, and a
measurable-but-not-significant performance improvement for going all-SSD.  On a
database load, with synchronous writes, your mileage will of course vary.  More
here:  https://technotes.seastrom.com/2016/09/21/disk-isnt-the-long-pole.html

-r