With os_console set to ttya, following the procedure described here:
    https://github.com/joyent/smartos-live/issues/727#issuecomment-342868065

I was able to get all the way to SmartOS Setup. I haven't attempted to do the
actual installation yet, because this isn't the way I want to boot it every
time.

What I found, which differs from what YanChii noticed, is that I need neither
disable-xhci=true nor moddebug to get this far. Typing this into the debugger
is all that is needed for me:

    ::bp -Dn 1 -c '.+0x95::bp -c "0>dx;::cont" ; ::cont' acpica`AcpiOsWritePort
    :c

I am testing with: joyent_20180203T031130Z

Please let me know whether this helps, and how to proceed from here.