An update. I restored my iPhone within iTunes today. It's all now working well
and is now 10.01.

I'm puzzled that selecting 'automatically backup to iCloud' in iTunes when I
1st got the phone has apparently not been happening. I was merrily assuming it
was. Now know where to check on both iPhone and iPad for future reference.

Thank you so much, Sam! You are a star.

Best wishes
Catherine

Catherine Hunt