Fred,

I agree with your opinion.  I read the threads and had to take a larger
overview to what a benchmark actually means.

In my opinion, Benchmark planes, means some plane to which other planes
are compared to so that a noticeable advancement in performance,
building, transport, and flying can be measured.  They should be unique
and contribute unique characteristics.

With that said, the Onyz, or Sharon, or Supra, in fact nearly 99% of the
planes on the market currently are really just "refinements" to existing
designs, and really are not improvements.

The problem with "benchmarks" is that they generally last a very short
time, perhaps only one contest, or one weekend of flying.  Why?  Because
if any improvement is so radical that it makes the plane fly 3-6%
better, it will be incorporated into the next generation model, or an
existing model, and it's distinctiveness rapidly lost.

So, in my opinion, the following might be considered benchmarks:

1)      The Nelson KA6.  You know this plane.  It is perhaps the first fully
fiberglass and molded, aerobatic, 12 ft R/C sailplane of the 1970's.

2)      The Graupner Cirrus.  Again in the 1970's, it was the first fully
plastic molded fuselage.  It has ailerons, flying stab, was very light
for it's time.

3)      The EPP Zagi wing:  I look at this as the first time we could fly
combat with a wing and not have to spend so much time in the shop fixing
planes.  Besides the durability (a benchmark), EPP would permit a lot of
PSS planes to be made, and got a lot of simulator pilots and computer
geeks out to the slope.

4)      The Aquila:  When Skip Miller added a semisymmetrical airfoil to the
plane, we saw the advent of new types of airfoils being used that
provided greater range.

5)      The Mirage:  Designed by Blaine Rawdon, this was one of the early
designs that spurred lightweight floater sailplanes.  It also started
the "thick" vs "Thin" debate, started winch development to the strong
ones we have today.  It spurred first the thick flat bottomed sections,
but later as CF was put in the spars, lead to the planes that we
currently fly today.  An Ava or Bubble Dancer, etc, is nothing more than
a tricked up Mirage.

6)      SWK MK I:  You probably don't know this model, but it was designed by
Jerry Krainock and flown by him to several cross country distance
records prior to Joe Wurts' current records.  I had a thick airfoil, was
foam cored, and was very fast.

7)      The Sunbird:  Dave Thornburg designed this early HLG, but this HLG
was not the first, nor the best HLG, out there for its time.  It did
have a big influence in getting HLG going, as did the Mirage and others.
 Most other HLGs, in my opinion, just refinements.

8)      The Upstart:  The Upstart was the first DLG used in competition.  Tip
launching was first pioneered by Dick Barker and Harold Locke, in
Seattle, and Dick Barker used the launching method to be able to keep up
with the overhand throws of Joe Wurts and the rest.  When EVERYONE else
realized that they could use this method, most effectively by adding a
gyro to their current planes, DLG became the only method for launching.
Gyros are now gone by good DLG design and airfoiled tailgroups, but
overall the UpStart was the benchmark.  It did not last long.

9)      The Todi:  Bob Dodgsen brought out this first flaperon ship, which
used mechanical mixers for the flaperons.  The Ace MicroPro TX as well
as early JR radio designs permitted planes to be built with electronic
rather than mechanical mixers.  The Todi represented the first time a TD
plane could use airfoil camber for tasks.  So, EVERY TD ship that uses
any sort of aileron and flap changing owes it's existence to the Todi.
They are refinements.

10)     The Challenger:  Designed by Otto Heitdecker, this large flapperon
plane was a precursor to the subsequent larger Maestro designs of
Dodgsen.  Otto was a dominating pilot of the SOAR nats years.  He can be
compared to all of us that fly molded flapped ship today.

11)     Sitars/Dohle:   German designs, they were early precursors to F3B
ships, molded, new HQ airfoils, flapped.  Basically it showed that
multiple models from the same molds can be made for competition and all
fly the same.

12)     Hobie Hawk:  Designed by Hobie Alder, the plane represented one of
the first mass produced composite laminated planes.  It spurred vacuum
bagging techniques, as well as foam cutting and fiberglass skins, then
CF use.  It was not a great contest winner, but the building techniques
it used lead to what we currently are refining today.

13)     Rolf Decker Designs:  I cannot quote which planes were built by Rolf
Decker, but Rolf had some of the first really great F3B molded planes.
For example, he had a F3B plane that had telescoping wings.  For speed
it pulled the wings in and for thermaling, they were expanded.  The
building techniques, airfoils, and plane moments in current F3B designs
have origins here.

14)     Thermic 50:  This is a Goldberg design whose influences are seen in
the Bird of Time.

15)     JW Wing:  Here is one of the first planes that permitted Dynamic
Soaring to take hold.  It permitted every DS pilot to home their skills
prior to the current developments.

OK, So you guys want to flame me for trying to set benchmarks.
Personally, most of the planes we fly today are not too distinct, and
certainly do not have any real improvements that make them better than
any others.  I would venture to characterize today's planes as "Mutts",
as in referring to the dog world.  They are not purebred for their
characteristics, and none of the planes really are a "species" that
contributes new and unique characteristics.

Think back, what plane really had something unique for the sport?
Those, in my opinion, are the benchmarks, even though they way now be by
the wayside.

Chris