Hi Mike,

First of all, I presented my opinions as to what is a benchmark, and
specifically stated my qualifications.  They can differ from the
thoughts of others, and on this exchange everyone had the ability to
express their views.  This is a philosophical discussion.

Are you just trying to give me a rough time for my opinions??  LOLOLOL

However, in regard to what my opinions are, I would love to express why
I chose the examples that I did, and group together others.

Let's take for example a few items.

First, most designers attempt to take the best feature of each plane and
try to merge it together into an overall better plane.  Is this a "real
improvement" per se?  Perhaps it is.  It is not in my benchmarks.

Second, I believe that changing just the airfoil does not necessarily
represent a benchmark.  Mark Drela has done exceptional work which I
admire, as have many other designers like JW, DP, many Europeans, among
others.  However, does using an airfoil and then modeling a new wing
planform constitute a benchmark?  My benchmarks were something that
produced a significant trend.  The planes themselves might not have
survived because their features were rapidly incorporated into other
models, but they were pioneers.  I do not think the Supras or Onyx, or
some of the others are just that much different (IMHO).

With that said, I look the difference or similarities between the
following planes:

The Photon and the Ava:  Hmmm, the AVA is just a scaled up Photon with a
little more wing taper, dihedral, but it is of the same construction.
There are others from the Eastern European manufacturers that have
similar designs and structural features.

The Super Gee I and the Supra:  Hmmm, again the Supra is an enlarged
Super Gee.  It uses the same basic tailgroup, the same and beefier stab
mount, light weight construction, specific wing planforms and airfoils.
They seem alike, but does size matter when they are used for two
separate events?

We see designers using features that fit their specific requirements.
Obviously, this is quite evident when MacCready built a large Microfilm
indoor model because it performed the functions he required.  Consider
SpaceShip One, the shuttlecock wing feature is not much more than a
dethermalizer for freeflight planes used for over 50 years.  Thank
goodness our modeling experiences go to good uses.

But does that take away from the achievements of these great men?  No.
What I see is that they took what they knew, added their take and came
up with a plane that performed the function they required.

In our sport, the F3B/F3J planes are taking minor variations and trying
to group them together.  The variations are not major.  The Sharons',
Supras, Schpotdorkers, Milleniums, and many other composite ships are
designed trying to optimize a specific task.  We are eventually going to
reach a point of diminishing returns.

However, why do new planes come out, if not for their new aerodynamics?

They come out routinely, in perhaps 9 month intervals, because of the
market.  People and pilots always want the latest and greatest, and pay
for that.

So IMHO, which I believe I can express, I am waiting for that
significant improvement to come out.

Is the improvement out there?  I really hope so.  It will become the
benchmark.

But is the Wright Flyer with wing warping any different than the dynamic
wing warping using electrochemical  induced composites that are
currently being explored?  The mechanics are different, but the
aerodyamincs is the same.

I wonder.

Chris