Everybody has good points but listen to this. I place my 2 or 3 DLG's in the 
back of my minivan, assembled and ready to fly. The one I want to fly first is 
charging as I drive to the field. I get to the field, put my card on the board 
and am flying 180 seconds later. 
 
 
Admitedly, sometimes there is very little low level lift, but other than that,
 
Beat that!> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [email protected]> Subject: [RCSE] 
DLGs = Bang for the Buck, NO WAY; Benchmarks- Get Real.> Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 
19:22:18 +0000> > I have to disagree with Buzz regarding DLG being the best 
value. I agree that DLG has made HL more accessible to all pilots due it the 
ergonomics of launching them. But value, for that lets> take a step back and 
look at it from a distance.> > When evaluated analytically, DLG is absolutely 
the worst value in soaring today. Lets take the recent example of the $1000 
Vandal (all up ready to fly) that was snapped up off of RCSE recently. For 
simplicity assume that the plane weighs 10 oz all up. A simple calculation 
yields $100/oz. > > Now lets take a Supra at $2000 (all up: plane plus radio 
gear) at 65 oz. Same simple calculation yields $31/oz. > > OK, next up on the 
list is an SBXC at $2500 (all up, plane plus radio plus vario) at 176 oz.> 
Crank, crank, the calculator tells me $14.25/oz.> > Getting the drift here? Now 
lets take Sagitta 900 at $350 (kit plus gear) weighing 40 oz. Push the little 
beads on the abacus and what comes out: $8.75/oz.> > Disclaimer- this doesn't 
assign any value for building, enjoying, etc. Then again, nobody really makes 
money out of the hobby, we all do it for fun, no? > > So, what is really more 
cost effective, soaring gold (DLG), or history (Sagitta)? > > On a kind of 
related topic, I've been having a great laugh about all this benchmark garbage. 
What a bunch of subjective tripe. All I really see is reminiscing about what 
gets an individual's attention and represents progress to them. > > I've been 
in the technology business for 40 years, and if I've learned anything, true 
paradigms define themselves without any help. By their very nature, the 
direction that technology goes after the paradigm emerges will change because 
of the paradigm. > > As my buddy Bubba would say, "Y'all have a ball getting 
yer undies twisted with this one". > > Jim Thomas> RCSE-List facilities 
provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be 
sent in text only format with MIME turned off. Email sent from web based email 
such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format
_________________________________________________________________
Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate.  Join in.
www.windowslive.com/smile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_oprsmilewlhmtagline

Reply via email to