i2phd wrote:

> --- In soft_radio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:soft_radio%40yahoogroups.com>,
> k5nwa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >
>  > For example you can have an amplifier and band pass filter followed by
>  > one very high speed A/D converter, the rest of the functions of the
>  > radio are implemented in software, this is a Software Defined Radio,
>  > but there is no I and Q signals going into the computer, you can even
>  > do it without having I and Q signals in the software, but you won't
>  > have image rejection but it will still work as a radio.
>
> Cecil,
>
> that is _almost_ correct, but not completely. When you use a high
> speed ADC to digitize directly the RF (as in SDR-IQ, SDR-14, Perseus),
> then you have, in the firmware of the radio, to downconvert and
> downsample the digitized data. To do this, a NCO (Numerically
> Controlled Oscillator) is used, with a half-complex mixer, all
> implemented in firmware, which is akin to software. The NCO generates
> two signals at 90 degrees each other, and the output of the
> half-complex mixer (which, implementation-wise, is just a couple of
> multiplications) is an I/Q pair, which, after downsampling, is sent to
> the PC, usually via the USB port.
>
> In this kind of implementation the I/Q pair is generated _after_ the
> conversion from analog to digital, so there are no problems of
> unbalancing and poor image rejection. Being all done numerically,
> everything is balanced (apart from truncation errors, but those are
> orders of magnitude lower).
>
> At the end of the story, you *always* need an I/Q pair, as what you
> have is a portion of the spectrum centered at zero Hz, and you have to
> select either the positive part of it, or the negative part when you
> perform the demodulation. And that is possible only if your signal is
> analytic, i.e. is composed of two quadrature components, I and Q.

I stated so in fewer word, no image rejection unless you have I and Q
says it all in fewer words. It's not the best way of doing it, it's
actually foolish since the cost is so little, but it would be
functional. I was trying to illustrate the I and Q is not the sole
definition of a SDR you can have one without I and Q but it will have
image issues, we have seen that before with radios in the past, it's
nothing new.

--
Cecil
K5NWA