Ah-so Dave, no differential amps in your SDR kit.

Jack; if memory serves - if you want "general coverage" try to find an
SDR with low-noise differential amps instead of opamps. With a
differential amp, the gain is constant regardless of the antenna
impedance, whereas often with opamps, the antenna impedance forms part
of the input circuit to the opamp, which in conjunction with the
feedback impedance determines the gain of the SDR. In other words with
an inverting opamp, your SDR gain will vary with antenna impedance.
Something that might not be good for a general coverage setup.

You might get around this with a non-inverting opamp setup instead of
inverting, but I've never seen a radio like that and I seem to
remember reading somewhere that it is a bad idea; can't remember why.
BTW, low noise differential amps have higher noise than low-noise
opamps. The best differential amps I've seen have at least a couple
nV/rtHz noise with low-noise opamps these days running significantly
below one nV/rtHz. But this difference probably would not matter much
on the HF bands though. The venerable Burr Brown (now TI) INA163 comes
to mind as a decent low-noise differential amp, 1nV/rtHz and a single
gain set resistor.

For general coverage you might use a low-noise pre-amp ahead of the
QSD to prevent the antenna impedance from affecting the SDR bandwidth.
But as I stated before, this is a contentious idea as it will reduce
dynamic range, for one thing.

These two issues (diff amp and pre-amp) are explained in the excellent
"SDR for the Masses" 4-part series of QEX articles. Can't remember the
author's name - and I don't have access to the papers at the moment.

Then there's the issue of an input filter. I'm looking at a simple
manually tuned preselector for a general coverage SDR. I might put the
tuned circuit through a pair of step-up RF transformers to improve Q.
Finding cheap 365pf variable capacitors is becoming increasingly
difficult though. I'm also going to look at a high-impedance input
pre-amp using a FET low-noise op-amp. I have to study the noise budget
carefully first though to make sure I'm not creating a problem rather
than solving one. It's been a long time since I wrestled with  opamp
noise calculations.

GL, David