i dont recall this bug being addressed in 2013 SP1, but i may be wrong...

@julian, i got to the point where i was adding all the characters i needed
to an empty scene and updating this, then copy pasting graphs to rebuild
the scene. but even in a simple scene eventually screeches to a halt.

being able to use a external format to store data like this and so it can
be updated without interacting with a live simulation is key.