Thanks Guys this is very helpful.

Thanks for the explanation and screenshots Sandy.

The major difference between your approach and mine was that you use Linear
Interpolate.  And I was multiplying the shape vectors by the scalar that
was returned from the controller position.

I wonder if that could be part of the cause of my rigs slowness