try this ( I hacked some of from Steve Caron's script here -
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/xsi_list/-mDMXnp28aI/9YB0ue8xP9AJ ):

import win32com

xsi = Application

coll = win32com.client.Dispatch( "XSI.Collection" )
coll.AddItems (xsi.Selection)

#get first objects name so you can use it on the new mesh once it's made
meshName = coll(0).Name

ops = xsi.ApplyGenOp("MeshMerge", "", "", 3, "siPersistentOperation",
"siKeepGenOpInputs", "")

# ApplyGenOp returns a collection, if there is a count then the operator was
successfully applied
if ops.Count:
    op = ops(0)
    op.tolerance.Value = 0

    # get new merged object
    mergedMesh = op.OutputPorts(0).Target2.Parent

    xsi.ApplyTopoOp("PolygonReduction", mergedMesh, "siUnspecified",
"siPersistentOperation", "")

    #name the new mesh
    mergedMesh.Name = str(meshName) + "_merged"