The point is that we all still have a couple years to figure this stuff
out. I personally recommend you take your time and study all your options
before you jump ship. There might be a few surprises along the way.
Something might even come out of left field and completely revolutionize
the way we work. But that's just my opinion. For all I know, Houdini might
be the next big thing in lighting/shading/rendering.

Exactly.  There's so many things to consider when choosing an app.
 Everything from the type of work, leadership within that software, talent
availability, and the list goes on.  I won't say that Houdini is perfect
either, but when it comes to lighting, I think it's one of the unsung
heroes living in the shadows of FX.

Plus I think Halfdan is behind the rendering side of things at SideFX so
it's kinda like being in bed with old Softies...good or bad. :P

-Lu