Hi Chris,

My appreciation of the effort you took to write all that, and the thought
that must have went into it is considerable.
I truly and honestly appreciate that you did that, and I look forward (more
than before) to your second part where you explain
why Autodesk can't just keep Softimage around (and perhaps why doing that
is diffeent than doing that with Toxik and MatchMover).

Does this solve everything? Does this make me a renewed Autodesk customer?
No, but your email really helped a lot with regards to understanding the
lay of the land as it has been leading up to now.

One other thing that would be helpful is:

Why Softimage was not marketed. Yes, you can blame (or partially hold as
culpable) Microsoft and Avid as to the small sales numbers for Softimage,
but after Autodesk
acquired it, in many ways the marketing was FURTHER reduced. This, I
believe, leads mostly towards the mindset people have that either Autodesk
was trying to kill it, or Autodesk didn't care if it died, or Autodesk only
bought it for the technology and if it sold that was icing, but that it
wasn't a goal. Those things directly come from a couple things: Lack of
Softimage appearing on the home page, lack of advertising, lack of features
while under Autodesk.
I would be interested in knowing how you respond to that.

Again, much appreciated, Chris.

Perry

--

Perry Harovas
Animation and Visual Effects

http://www.TheAfterImage.com <http://www.theafterimage.com/>

-25 Years Experience
-Member of the Visual Effects Society (VES)