Hi Eric:

What kind of expressions are you dealing with that's causing slowdown in the scene? I've found that they actually evaluate pretty fast short of making a C++ plugin. If you're writing them as Python, it might be a bit of a bottleneck I've found.

@ Sebastien: There's not really a list per se...but most of the useful ones related to rigging will be in the hypershade > Maya > utilities. There's some simple tricks here and there (such as using condition nodes to clamp values instead of the actual clamp node for certain inputs) that you should be aware of, but unfortunately the reality is that you'll have to get used to either making your own nodes or living with the smaller variety of utility nodes OOTB.

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang