It depends.
I haven't had enough time with it to know for sure, but if you are in need
of it for
games (and I assume that is where your interest resides) I wouldn't know
enough
how low level you would need to get.

In terms of a VFX or character animation (non real-time) use of vertex
colors, normals, etc.
I have so far been very impressed. The viewport is very informative,
updates quickly (depending on how much you have in your scene, of course).
Vertex colors, weightmaps, enveloping, n-gons, unfolding, mirroring, etc.
have all worked far better than my experiences with Softimage so far.
Granted that my tests have been isolated and not yet production examples
(for those specific tools). Use that to take what I say about them with
the appropriate grain of salt.

So far, things like weighting points, painting weights, controlling
deformers, etc. have all been quite good.
There are many tools that may have no use in a game space (again, assuming
that is where your interests are), but have been
very easy to pick up and use at high degree of control really, really
quickly.

It certainly isn't me being some savant with new tools, either. It just
seems to make sense to my Softimage-encrusted brain.

Also, I have to say, the amount and quality of the free tutorials out there
for C4D is a huge boon to anyone making that specific transition.
We have a Digital Tutors account, and they even h ave a 17 part series
called "Cinema 4D for Softimage Artists"

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1598-CINEMA-4D-for-Softimage-Artists

Which was very helpful, too.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the questions you asked, but if I get
more time in those areas, I will happily report what I find.

Perry