AFAIK you can purchase new licenses of Softimage until next year when you
won't be able to purchase anything, only rent. Maybe if you are big enough
and want to buy lot of licenses Autodesk may do an exception, I don't know.

We purchased a few Maya and Softimage bundles last month because we still
have some projects that are being done in Softimage and we will probably
still have Softimage projects at least a couple of years.

About Maya 2016 modeling tools, I can't really talk about it. In games, we
usually work in 3+ years old versions and Maya 2014 modeling still sucks
(better than before though). MTK looked promising but since you can't use
it with skinned objects, it isn't very useful for characters.

How easy you can model and edit a weighted character's polygons and
deformers without breaking everything is something I haven't found anywhere
yet.

Martin