Which renderer? I think Holger had his visbool shader working in MentalRay
and Arnold.

For a renderer agnostic route you are going to need to do some sort of
booleans, obviously those can be tricky and crash a lot. There is VDB tools
from Oleg which doe CSG operations on levelsets and of course Houdini's VDB
tools if you have access to it. Shading is going to be tricky if you need
to transfer UVs to the VDB. Oleg's tools don't have that functionality but
Houdini does.

Steven