If you use Mental Ray, then use the baVisbool shader.
If you use Arnold, then you can use it, but it does not work for shadows.
See attached examples.

Do not use UVs for the inside, use true 3D shaders that use a spatial
projection (Mray) or object-centered projection (MRay+Arnold).

Perhaps not what you are searching for, but if you have something like a
Tomato, then this should not be an issue at all.
There are a lot of options:
Volume/Gradient mixer:
If you have some air inside the object, you might want to use the volume
shader. Combined with a gradient mixer to control the
chocolate/duff shading.
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/shd_vol/img_prod/Ehrmann.jpg
Falloff Primitive:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/help/baEssential/Shader/Volume_Density_/Falloff_primiti/Falloff_primitive.htm
Cell3D shader:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/help/baEssential/Shader/Texture/Cell3D/Cell3D.htm
Flakes:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/help/baEssential/Shader/Texture/Flakes/Flakes.htm
Fractal:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/help/baEssential/Shader/Texture/Fractal4D/Fractal4D.htm
baRecuresive to place texture planes in a 3D space or combine other 3D shaders:
http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/shd_vol/img/Texture_recursiv.jpg

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

  _____