I've been one of the Modo alpha/beta test team for a number of years now
and can honestly say it's nowhere near being an XSI replacement. The good
thing is that their new incremental development strategy has made Modo far
less crashy but it has a long way to go in performance terms and the new
procedural system has a weak UX, is even less performant than general
Modo's other workflows and has procedural capabilities at approx 5% of ICE
or Houdini. Working in Modo can often feel similar to stirring treacle.

On the other hand nothing beats Modo for good old fashioned direct
modeling. Fantastic range of tools and an ever improving set of viewport
options. ILM turned to Modo to create a kitbashing library for Star Wars
Rogue One (and one that's being reused for all forthcoming content
requirements in the Star Wars universe). It's all based of reacquiring the
original 1977 models on eBay! I kind you not:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/ilm-john-knoll-star-wars-rogue-one-1201764052/

IMHO Modo can be classed as a fantastic direct modeller at a luxury price
point, or an exceptionally weak DCC to replace the the higher priced
options of Max, Maya, Houdini and XSI. Take your pick.  :)

On 25 January 2017 at 20:17, Pierre Schiller <activemotionpictu...@gmail.com