Thanks a lot everyone!
I'll go through your suggestions later, when I'm done with my current
tasks.
Paul, I've tried the method you showed on vimeo some time ago, and I
remember bumping into a few issues. If I remember correctly I had to change
the shape reference mode in order to make things work in ICE (local
relative didn't work), and I didn't really have the time to experiment with
it, although I had the impression, that doing shapes in ICE could be more
versatile. Your videos are extremely helpful!