What you described, Joey, is nothing more than point of reference.  What is
local in one perspective and global in another, can be modeled as
parent/child relationships in many cases.  It can be done, it's just a
matter of studying the ripple effect of changing a core fundamental feature.
It may not be a practical investment of time, but it can be done.

I am sure any one of us could make a very long laundry list of what we'd
like to see carried over from Softimage.  I think it would be better to
describe them from a function point of view rather than specific named
feature.

For example, ability to use global transforms to manipulate an object
instead of just local as Maya currently supports.

The ability to define your keyboard commands so the stuff you use 80% of the
time doesn't get stepped on by esoteric stuff.  For example, if "A" frames
all objects in a viewport, then that key should not be used for something
less important (or completely unimportant) such as changing your layout to
be in animation mode.  Softimage put all the important stuff in the center
of the keyboard where your hand naturally rests, and put the lesser
important stuff at the perimeter.  the less important it was, the more hoops
you had to jump through to access it.  That's how it should be.  Maya has no
system.  Example: must use ALT-MMB to pan the camera.  WTF?  Not only is
that out of the way, but requires uncommon use of key and mouse to perform.
It's certainly hard on my arthritic wrists.

Probably the most important change I would like to see is rewriting of the
documentation.  Whoever wrote the current docs has poor organizational
skills and doesn't have a mastery of the English language.  Topics
frequently point to other pages only for those pages to point back to where
you started without answering your question.  Many pages have so little
information it's not worth having pages for them.  The SDK documents aren't
much better as they fail to mention some very important pieces too as
everything is written from the point of view of hindsight (i.e. written as
if you already know the SDK.  Not designed for newcomers).  Heck, the C++
SDK docs don't even alphabetize the methods available in a class.
Seriously?  Ever look at a larger class like MFnMesh and try to find the one
method you need to get UV space info?  It's a chore.  As a direct
comparison, take a look at the Maya Python API docs which describe many of
the same methods.  notice they are alphabetized, and while that doesn't
solve the problem, it certainly makes it less of a chore.

comparison - C++ vs. Python documentation of MFnMesh class:

C++:
http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=__cpp_ref_class_m_fn_mesh_html
Python:
http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=__py_ref_class_open_maya_1_1_m_fn_mesh_html

Ideally, I'd like to see the SDK docs written like the Softimage scripting
object model documentation where the methods were listed above, and the
properties listed below in grid fashion.  That was a powerful arrangement of
information to make learning easy.

Matt