Holy crap, this is lame, even for Maya. Your suggestion works - upon inspection
the default cameras are too close to the large objects, which effectively clips
the closest parts. I had no idea, as there is still a ton of stuff I don't know
about Maya. This is after framing the objects using both A and F in order to
see what might fix it, plus trying to dolly away to no avail.

What I do know about Maya - never expect it to act or behave sensibly nor
logically :-/

Since you know the ins and outs - it drives me crazy that there apparently is
no actual zoom function in Maya wievports, like the one we know from Softimage.
I am talking about changing camera fov using Z interactively while working on
framing in a scene. Asking our Maya residents they reply they don't use that so
they don't know how. They say to select camera and change fov in the Attribute
Editor.

How do you manage stuff like that (assuming you have found a smarter way).

Thanks
Morten