I have to manually move those cameras when I'm modeling big things or in a
weird scale.

About the Zoom, Maya does have a zoom tool. Or should I say 2 zoom tools.

1. 2D Zoom : Hotkey : \
Press \ and right click to zoom. \ and middle click to Pan.
Press again \ to toggle between this zoom and normal view
This Zoom and Pan doesn't change your camera settings and doesn't render. I
don't really know what people use this for.

2. 3D Zoom: View > Camera Tools > Zoom Tool
No hotkey by default AFAIK, but you can create your hotkey.
This one is linked to the camera Focal Length.

Martin