And, yeah, what I've suggested in previous post, it works if curve and cross
section are not parented under anything. In case of some component parented to
something, most likely there's new set of rules - or maybe not, I really don't
have willing power to investigate.

      From: Morten Bartholdy <x...@colorshopvfx.dk>
 To: "Userlist, Softimage" <softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:11 AM
 Subject: OT - Maya extrusion explained?

Since this is a place where the few remaining sane people in the world reside,
I would like to hear if anyone knows of a comprehensible tutorial on the mess
Maya calls Extrude?

I have the (almost) simplest scenario which would take all of 10 seconds to do
in XSI, but our Maya artists can only do it after 10 minutes of fiddling, and I
seem unable to replicate it (the first one gave up(!))
even though I wrote the procedure(!) down.

I have a profile curve and a path curve. I want to extrude the profile curve on
the path curve, so the resulting geometry is positioned with the path curve
down the center spine.

This seems like an unsurmountable task in Maya but I just saw it done. What
seems to be the case is you (really) have to oblige the Maya way of doing
things and yet, following my quickly scribbled notes, this still fails. Either
the resulting geometry is not positioned at the path or the cross sections on
the geometry is scewed, or both....

I could do it in XSI and be done i 2 minutes, but really want to learn to use
Maya for big and small things alike, and thinking many of you have come across
this scenario and found out the do's and dont's I was hoping some of you could
offer advice or point me to a comprehensible tutorial on the subject. The Maya
documentation is as usual almost of no use, and the tutorials I have found
don't really seem to cover this scenario - they are usually quite spcific on
one particular workflow which does not apply.

Please, and thanks!

Morten