Joint priority, IK Handle priority really tick me off in Maya.
I have a toggle MEL script bound to a hotkey for that kind of thing.

I am used to the gesture based rmb left, right, up etc... now, but have
still bound U,I and O as Face, Edge and Point select. Q gets bound to the
Object Select Command I believe, as the default sometimes has had issues
for me with clearing the previous selection mode completely.   The
rebinding doesn't replace any crucial Maya hotkeys I've ever used.

I also find I tend to use Ctrl 1 a lot to isolate things when preforming
complex multi selections, or use the show menu.

Ahh Maya... Breathe in.... Hold, Breathe Out.

Ujjayi Breathing for Maya Users

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Ujjayi-5Fbreath&d=DwIBaQ&c=76Q6Tcqc-t2x0ciWn7KFdCiqt6IQ7a_IF9uzNzd_2pA&r=GmX_32eCLYPFLJ529RohsPjjNVwo9P0jVMsrMw7PFsA&m=5r29H144qOckio2HdublXpLlPy3OqI49-Z7XnCoHwWo&s=CAcFxoLbPYWFSmWeZ-2xvQSdb3HhL1Ye-53JqNsm9Fg&e=

Adam