> I personally don't ever see Houdini filling the Softimage void. The
> engineering that powers the Houdini user experience very often requires a
> totally different mindset for solving the same end goals. I think Houdini
> fills an ICE void, but the rounded user experience of Softimage is so much
> harder to fill.

I agree the elegant “no-frills" workflow in Softimage is not going to be
replicated anytime soon but there have been some truly remarkable efforts to
get closer while keeping Houdini true to its procedural roots (which obviously
is the right thing to do)

> Plus I think there are parts of the Houdini community that don't want to see
> the user experience to become more artist friendly. If Houdini is easier to
> drive, they might see their hourly rates drop! ;)

Unless there is a major breakthrough in education I doubt a 20 years experience
Houdini FXTD will have his rates go down… if anything is going to be the total
opposite.

My 2 cents
jb