Dear Alain, all,

GI-DS-Lite is one option among others to limit the effect the of the IPv4
address depletion. It introduces a tunnel between a PGW/GGSN and a CGN, this
has some impacts on the gateway. This tunnel can be of any nature, IPv6 is only
an option.

Other solutions such as enabling a NAT44 (or even a NAT64 to prepare for an
IPv6-only mode) in the GGSN/PGW or enforce routing policies to redirect the
traffic to a CGN which is used to service a set of PGWs/GGSNs is also a valid
scenario which solves the problem addressed by GI-DS-Lite. The pressure on the
private IPv4 addresses if any can be solved by adopting a per-interface (TID of
GTP can be sued for de-multiplexing purposes, and the same private IPv4 address
can be assigned to requesting UEs).

Note that both solutions may be deployed in a standalone scheme: i.e., without
any plan to enable IPv6...

To sum up, my proposal is: instead of adopting a document which describes one
possible solution, document other "viable" options too for fairness.

I don't know if the IETF is the right place for this, but the impact of
GI-DS-Lite on existing 3GPP architectures should be assessed.

Cheers,
Med