On May 7, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:

>> (c) N:1
>> model: a single CGN serve a group of PGW/GGSN. Indeed, having +16M of
>> customers
>> is a valid case. **BUT** which Service Provider will accept to service this
>> huge
>> amount of UEs with the same node (if we suppose that a mega centralised CGN
>> implementation is found in the market)? This is single point of failure
>> design
>> which SHOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED.
>
> IMHO it is N:1 and that's why GI-DS lite is interesting to the operators. I
> agree with you that having 16M+ MNs NAT'ed by a single CGN is something I
> have not heard of, yes there there is a problem.

co-chair hat off:

This is the N:P aspect that I find interesting in GI-DS-lite. And it does not
have to be limited to 16M+ address being concentrated... nor be limited to
wireless.
Think about an ISP with a number of access router and a number of centralized
NATs. Each customer connected to an access router is using his own version of
RFC1918.
What GI-DS-lite enable is to implement the NAT function in a different box that
potentially has different scaling properties than the access router.

  - Alain.