Dear Gang,

>> as far as I can understand your draft, you make NAPT44 in the CE obligatory.
>
> [Gang] Yes. This is to avoid the problem where there are applications
> that attempt
> to bind to specific ports that are not part of the allowed port range.

Well, if the application/operating system supports the
standard/protocol/technology, then it should only bind to the port, which
CPE would normally use to translate source ports of the packets. If there
is no such operating system/application, NAPT44 must be used, of course.

>> However, this is not the case for 4rd, dIVI, SA46T-AS and Lightweight
>> 4over6 A+P drafts.
>
> [Gang] I guess this is always the case for port constrained mechanisms.

Of course. But you could support various scenarios in the scope of your draft,
not only the common "CPE" one.

>> So I suggest that you make it optional in 4via6 translation as
>> well, since it might
>> be desired for some environments to connect hosts supporting 4via6
>> translation
>> technology, directly to the IPv6 network. In this case, you don't need
>> the translator.
>
> [Gang] Could you help to elaborate the environment ?

Sure. I can imagine a Linux implementation of "4via6 translation
support". If enabled, the TCP/IP stack would only bind to specific ports
(from the range). If you check the section III./C of the following paper:

http://zhuyc.info/globecom08mivi.pdf

the authors propose a modification "to the system call related to bind()
in the socket library of the operating system".

Then I could just connect my home gateway-server directly to the ISPs
network, providing support for "4via6 translation" and that's it.

Also, I see is as a use case in non-ISP environments, where you could
have IPv6-only, but 4via6 enabled server networks, with servers supporting
"4via6 translation". Like SA46T-AS, for example.

The main advantage of all this is of course that the IPv4 address is then
natively configured on the (virtual) interface.

--

Other than that, I still am very curious what are the differences between
your draft and draft-xli-behave-divi-03. I would be very happy if you could

Thanks,
Nejc