2011/8/22 Nejc Škoberne <n...@skoberne.net>:
> Dear Cameron,
>
>> some pressure.  IMHO, i believe that static over-subscription ratios
>> required by A+P will not meaningfully keep pace with the rapid growth
>> in the number of internet nodes.
>
> I would be very happy if you elaborated on this. Can you give something
> to support this belief?

Easy math version assuming the entire internet moves to this model of
stateless address sharing:

50 Billion Internet nodes [1]

240 Million  IPv4 addresses [2]

208.3 devices per IPv4 address -- by dividing the above numbers

312.5 ports per user -- by dividing by 65k ports

Not a perfect guesstimate on several levels since the "internet" is
not uniform and does move to anything in a uniform, the numbers used
above are suspect, and this is not an internet wide solution, some
nodes may go IPv6 only, and so on ... but sometimes looking at numbers
like this in the macroscopic view helps us understand our little part
of the internet that we are trying to design a solution for.

As stated, some providers may find a benefit here... I believe that is
clear.  My understanding is that in North America many of the
incumbent land line providers have fairly static subscriber bases, not
a lot of growth in users demanding IPv4.  In my world (mobile), AFAIK
approximately half of the service providers globally already do NAT44
/ LSN / CGN.

Areas of the internet that are experiencing or anticipate rapid growth
(mobile, cloud, new ventures) in address consumption will likely not
extend their existing addresses far with a stateless solution.

Regards,
Cameron

[1] http://www.ericsson.com/thecompany/press/releases/2010/04/1403231
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3194