Woj,

According to your description, it is clear that the way to deal with EA=0
is quite different with EA>0. Mixing them together will not only make MAP
losing the initial "no state in the ISP network paradigm" spirit, but also
make MAP a lot more complex and confusing.

Actually, the use case for EA=0 and EA>0 stems from different requirements,
it is nature to treat them with seperately.

Best wishes
Qiong

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Wojciech Dec <wdec.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ole's and Satoru's eaerlier replies on this thread described the "how",
> and even Maoke's earlier post on this thread acknowledged EA=0 with full
> IPv4 to be a " naturally established case of the MAP". EA=0 simply means
> that there isn't IPv4 (or PSID)  info in the IPv6 prefix.
>
> In terms of your question: When the EA=0, the full v4 address is derived
> via DHCP (or other) configuration. If the operator wants to configure
> address sharing, then a PSID is also required to be configured. This is
> saying , " you have to have an IPv4 address, and besides that if you want
> address sharing, you have to configure a port range via a PSID", which is
> unlikely to be confusing to any operator who is interested in doing any of
> this.
>
> That said, even if it the draft can better articulate this use, (which
> draft-00 actually sought to do), that not being so is hardly grounds for
> having yet another solution and draft to deal with this use-case. In terms
> of causing operator confusion, that by far is more confusing.
>
> Thanks,
> Woj.
>

> On 27 July 2012 14:39, Lee, Yiu <yiu_...@cable.comcast.com> wrote:
>
>> Woj,
>>
>> I am confused. You said "given that EA=0 is already covered (eg embedding
>> of full IPv4 address, no address sharing, if not the other case)". If I
>> read the spec right, this is my understanding: If I want to embed full v4
>> address in the CE v6 address, the v4 address will be embedded in the EA. If
>> so, how would EA=0?
>>
>> "The EA bits encode the CE specific IPv4
>>
>>    address and port information.  The EA bits can contain a full or part
>>    of an IPv4 prefix or address, and in the shared IPv4 address case
>>    contains a Port-Set Identifier (PSID)."
>>

>> I prefer one solution vs. N solutions given that the one solution can
>> logically solve all problems and doesn't cause confusion. Consider we
>> agreed on including 1:1 MAP. When an operator deployed it, he had to ask if
>> I want to share v4 addresses, should I put the v4 info in the EA or set
>> EA=0 and provision PSID? It will create unnecessary confusion. Simply put I
>> am not "calling out for a "remove that part of the spec & complicate it"
>> case". My position is quite an opposite. I am calling out for "not adding
>> confusion to complicate a spec".
>>
>> In the end, it is up to WG to decide.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Yiu
>>
>> From: Wojciech Dec <wdec.i...@gmail.com>
>> Date: Friday, July 27, 2012 8:06 AM
>> To: "Yiu L. LEE" <yiu_...@cable.comcast.com>
>> Cc: Ole Trøan <otr...@employees.org>, Softwires-wg <softwires@ietf.org>
>>
>> Subject: Re: [Softwires] map-00: review on the mode 1:1
>>

>> On 26 July 2012 16:59, Lee, Yiu <yiu_...@cable.comcast.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ole,
>>>
>>> IMHO the WG will need to decide whether EA=0 should be covered at all. If
>>> not, then the draft could explicitly mention EA must be > 0 and must
> [...]

Qiong Sun
China Telecom Beijing Research Institude

Open source code:
lightweight 4over6: *http://sourceforge.net/projects/laft6/*
PCP-natcoord:* http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcpportsetdemo/ *