Maybe it's too much to manage without a corporate sponsor, as you say...

But what about a cloneable AWS instance which people can then take
responsibility for themselves?  Or a set of VM's that could be downloaded?
Or a Docker?

I haven't done this so there may be roadblocks I'm unaware of - and I
haven't looked at the cost of keeping the VMs somewhere for download...

Although, quite honestly if someone had told me it was $25 to ship a usb
drive with the VM's on it I would have paid it without hesitation if I
could have prevented the weeks of hair-pulling I went through...

but my thought is:

   - Build AWS Instance so that it's cloneable and set up correctly (at
   free level if possible, at minimal viable level if not)
   - Turn it off but make the ability to clone it available publicly
   - Interested parties can then clone and run their own copy
   -           (hopefully at the free level, or for a small amount of money
   since they'll only be running it for a few hours at a time)
   - If necessary - add a tutorial that explains exactly how to clone and
   get it running...  (Yes, it adds AWS to the mix which adds complexity and
   so may not be good)

Alternatively - provide a VirtualBox VM (or set of VMs) that are
downloadable (don't care if it takes overnight) -- Or a Docker image...

I get that it's a little complex - especially if you want a "real" minimal
cloud setup which I would consider to be 3 Zookeeper VM's plus 2-3 Solr
VMs...

It may be too much, but that's what I've been wondering about for the last
year or so...