Just wanted to chime in on the technical set-up of the Solr "petting zoo",
I think I can help here; just let me know what you need.

Here is the idea; just have a vagrant box with ansible provisioning Zoo
keepers and Solr, creating collections, and etc.... That way anyone
starting out can just clone the repo, 'vagrant up' and have a fully
functional environment in no time. Setting up Solr is not the hard part and
I think it takes a little something from the experience, but if it would
help someone get started. Just send me an e-mail off line and let me know.

I do some work on an open source Solr python library and I use a similar
instance to run through unit tests on supported versions of python with
some of the latest versions of Solr; it works great and most of the work is
already done.