MilkDud schrieb:
Michael Ludwig-4 wrote:
What do you expect the user to enter?

* "dream theater innocence faded" - certainly wrong
* dream theater "innocence faded" - much better

Most likely they would just enter dream theater innocence faded, no
quotes.  Without any quotes around any fields, which is a large cause
of the problem.  Now if i index on the track level, than all those
words would have to show up in just one track (including the album,
artist, and track name), which is expected.  If i index on the album
level however, now, those words just need to show up anywhere
throughout the entire album.

Give the user separate form fields, in this case, don't use DisMax, and
route each form field value to the appropriate field.

Or go with DisMax, it has the "mm" option to fine-tune how multiple
terms in the query should influence matching.

So, while it will match dream theater - innocence faded, it will also
match an album that has all the words dream theater innocence faded
mentioned across all tracks, which for small queries can be very
common.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to say match all the words in the
search query across the artist, album, and track name, but only
looking at one track (a multivalued field) at a time given a query
without any quotes. Does that make sense at all?

If that's your use case (which I may have been unable to see up to now),
then your approach of splitting up albums in tiny track documents makes
sense.

That is why I was leaning towards the track level index, such as: id,
artist, album, track (all single valued)

Yes, that makes sense. Good luck! (Off for a week now.)

Michael Ludwig