How does your queries look like? Do you use faceting, highlighting, ... ?
Did you try to customize the cache?
Setting the HashDocSet to "0.005 of all documents" improves our search speed a
lot.
Did you optimize the index?

500ms seems to be slow for an 'average' search. I am not an expert but without
highlighting it should be faster as 100ms or at least 200ms

Regards,
Peter.

--
http://karussell.wordpress.com/