Hi Tom Burton-West.

  Sorry looks my email ISP filtered out your replies. I checked web version of
mailing list and saw your reply.

  My query string is always simple like "design", "principle of design", "tom"

EG:

Response:

<response>
−
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">16</int>
−
<lst name="params">
<str name="indent">on</str>
<str name="start">0</str>
<str name="q">design</str>
<str name="version">2.2</str>
<str name="rows">10</str>
</lst>
</lst>
−
<result name="response" numFound="5981" start="0">
−
<doc>
<str name="id">product_208619</str>
</doc>

EG:
http://localhost:7550/solr/select/?q=Principle&version=2.2&start=0&rows=10&indent=on

<response>
−
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">94</int>
−
<lst name="params">
<str name="indent">on</str>
<str name="start">0</str>
<str name="q">Principle</str>
<str name="version">2.2</str>
<str name="rows">10</str>
</lst>
</lst>
−
<result name="response" numFound="104" start="0">
−
<doc>
<str name="id">product_56926</str>
</doc>

As I am querying over single core and other cores are not querying at same
time. The QTime looks good.

But when I query the distributed node: (For this case, 6422ms is still a not
bad one. Many cost ~20s)

Response:

<response>
−
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">6422</int>
−
<lst name="params">
<str name="debugQuery">true</str>
<str name="indent">on</str>
<str name="start">0</str>
<str name="q">the first world war</str>
<str name="version">2.2</str>
<str name="rows">10</str>
</lst>
</lst>
−
<result name="response" numFound="4231" start="0">

Actually I am thinking and testing a solution: As I believe the bottleneck is
in harddisk and all our indexes add up is about 10-15G. What about I just add
another 16G memory to my server then use "MemDisk" to map a memory disk and put
all my indexes into it. Then each time, solr/jetty need to load index from
harddisk, it is loading from memory. This should give solr the most throughout
and avoid the harddisk access delay. I am testing ....

But if there are way to make solr use better use our limited resource to avoid
adding new ones. that would be great.