This was with the cloud-dev solrcloud-start.sh script (after that I've
used solrcloud-start-existing.sh).

Essentially I run ./solrcloud-start-existing.sh
index docs
kill 1 of the solr instances (using kill -9 on the pid)
delete a doc from running instances
restart killed solr instance

on doing this the deleted document is still lingering in the instance
that was down.