I stop the indexing, stop the shard, then start indexing again.  So
shouldn't need Yonik's latest fix?  In regards to how far out of sync,
it's completely out of sync, meaning index 100 documents to the
cluster (40 on shard1 60 on shard2) then stop the instance, index 100
more, when I bring the instance back up if I issue queries to just the
solr instance I brought up the counts are the old counts.

I'll startup the same test with out using multiple cores.  Give me a
few and I'll provide the details.