Ok, so I'm making some progress now.  With _version_ in the schema
(forgot about this because I remember asking about it before) deletes
across the cluster work when I delete by id.  Updates work as well if
a node is down it recovered fine.  Something that didn't work though
was if a node was down when a delete happened and then comes back up,
that node still listed the id I deleted.  Is this currently supported?