Hi Per,

if you are evaluating with your ProductOwner whether he/she wants to
contribute back:
Try to not see it only as a gift to the community for a highly usefull
product, but also see it as a protection of your investment.

What you are going to customize will be deeply integrated in Solr - in
code where changes might occur more often than in others, since they are
critical to Solr's overall performance.

When you are contributing back and committers rate your contribution as
valuable and safe enough to commit it to the trunk, almost every
enhancement of those code-regions is likely to be compatible with your
changes.
This highly reduces maintenance-costs, while it leaves more ressources
for new innovations and features that make your product great.

Kind regards,
Em