Alexandre,

You describe the normal path when a beginner try to use a source of code that
doesn't understand, black-box, reading code, hacking, ok now I know 10% of the
project, with lucky :p.

First at all, the Solr community is fantastic and always helps when I need it.
IMHO the devel documentation is dispersed in a lot of sources, blogs, wiki,
lucidWorks wiki (I know that this wiki was donated to apache and it's in
progress to present to the world as part of the project).

The curve for do funny thing with Solr at source level is hard, I see a lot of
webinars teaching how deploy and use solr, but not how developing a
ResponseWriter or a SearchComponent.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to contribute right, in the future …
will see.

--
Yago Riveiro