I think about myself as an example. I have started to make research about
Solr just for some weeks. I have learned Solr and its related projects. My
next step writing down the main steps Solr. We have separated learning
curve of Solr into two main categories.
First one is who are using it as out of the box components. Second one is
developer side.

Actually developer side branches into two way.

First one is general steps of it. i.e. document comes into Solr (i.e.
crawled data of Nutch). which analyzing processes are going to done
(stamming, hamming etc.), what will be doing after parsing step by step.
When a search query happens what happens step by step, at which step scores
are calculated so on so forth.
Second one is more code specific i.e. which handlers takes into account
data that will going to be indexed(no need the explain every handler at
this step) . Which are the analyzer, tokenizer classes and what are the
flow between them. How response handlers works and what are they.

Also explaining about cloud side is other work.

Some of explanations are currently presents at wiki (but some of them are
at very deep places at wiki and it is not easy to find the parent topic of
it, maybe starting wiki from a top age and branching all other topics as
possible as from it could be better)

If we could show the big picture, and beside of it the smaller pictures
within it, it would be great (if you know the main parts it will be easy to
go deep into the code i.e. you don't need to explain every handler, if you
show the way to the developer he/she could debug and find the needs)

When I think about myself as an example, I have to write down the steps of
Solr a bit detail  even I read many pages at wiki and a book about it, I
see that it is not easy even writing down the big picture of developer side.