Oh thank you Chris, this is much clearer, and thank you for updating the Wiki too.

On 05/22/2013 08:29 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
: NOTE: make sure norms are enabled (omitNorms="false" in the schema.xml) for
: any fields where the index-time boost should be stored.
:
: In my case where I only need to boost the whole document (not a specific
: field), do I have to activate the << omitNorms="false" >> for all the fields
: in the schema ?

docBoost is really just syntactic sugar for a field boost on each field i
the document -- it's factored into the norm value for each field in the
document.  (I'll update the wiki to make this more clear)

If you do a query that doesn't utilize any field which has norms, then the
docBoost you specified when indexing the document never comes into play.

In general, doc boosts and field boosts, and the way they come into play
as part of the field norm is fairly inflexible, and (in my opinion)
antiquated.  A much better way of dealing with this type of problem is
also discussed in the section of the wiki you linked to.  Imeediately
below...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRelevancyFAQ#index-time_boosts

...you'll find...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRelevancyFAQ#Field_Based_Boosting