On 5/30/2013 1:19 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
Okay, sadly, i still can't get this to work.

Following the instructions at:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Using_the_example_logging_setup_in_containers_other_than_Jetty

I copied solr/example/lib/ext/*.jar into my tomcat's ./lib, and copied
solr/example/resources/log4j.properties there too.

The result is unchanged, when I start tomcat, it still says:

OK, at this point, you've got Solr's logging configured, but your tomcat log won't be used -- the default logging destination has changed to log4j.

You might need to edit the log4j.properties file so that it points at a location that exists - the default is logs/solr.log, relative to the current working directory of the tomcat process.

Once the log4j destination gets created properly, you can look there for Solr's logs, which will hopefully give you additional insight.

If you want it to work with tomcat exactly how it did before, then you can go back to the old logging method (java.util.logging) with another section on that page:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Switching_from_Log4J_back_to_JUL_.28java.util.logging.29

Thanks,
Shawn