On 7/2/2013 10:09 AM, fabio1605 wrote:
> Thanks guys
>
> So SolR is actually a database replacement for mssql...  Am I right....
>

> We have a lot of perl scripts that contains lots of sql insert queries.....
> Etc
>

> How do we query the SolR database from scripts....  I know I have a lot to
> learn still so excuse my ignorance.
>
> Also...  What is mongo and how does it compare
>
> I just don't understand how in 10years of Web development I have never heard
> of SolR till last week

Solr is not really a database.  Solr 4.x has a lot of features that make
it function well in some limited NoSQL roles, but it's a search engine,
not a database.  It is a good idea to use the "stored" setting on your
Solr fields only for those fields that are required to fully display a
search result listing, then use your database as the canonical data
store for displaying full information for a single search result when
the user clicks on it.

Aside from letting you know that it's not a good idea to give Microsoft
your money, I can't really say anything bad about MSSQL.  If it's
working for you and your performance (aside from search) is good,
there's no real reason to move away from it as a data repository.

MongoDB is a NoSQL database.  That would be a candidate for replacing
MSSQL.  Whether or not it could actually replace it depends on your data
model.

Thanks,
Shawn