Hi Shawn,

I'm going to add this to the your JIRA unless you think that it would be
good to open another issue.
The issue for me is that making a ./lib in the instanceDir is documented as
working in several places and has worked in previous versions of Solr, for
example solr 4.1.0.

 I make a ./lib directory in Solr Home, all works just fine. However
according to the documentation making a ./lib directory in the instanceDir
should work, and in fact in Solr 4.1.0 it works just fine.

 So the question for me is whether making a ./lib directory as documented
in collections1/conf/solrconfig.xml and collections1/README.txt is supposed
to work in Solr 4.4 , but due to a bug it is not working.

   If it is not supposed to work, then the documentation needs fixing and
some note needs to be made about upgrading from previous versions of Solr.

Do you think I should open another JIRA and link it to yours or just add
this information (i.e. other scenarios where class loading not working) to
your JIRA?

Details below:

Tom

The documentation in the collections1/conf  directory is confusing.   For
example the collections1/conf/solrconfig.xml file says you should put a
./lib dir in your instanceDir.  (Am I correct that an instanceDir refers to
the core? )   On the other hand the documentation in the
collections1/README.txt is confusing about whether it is talking about the
instanceDir or Solr Home:

  For example, In collections1/conf/solrconfig.xml there is this comment:

       If a "./lib" directory exists in your instanceDir, all files
       found in it are included as if you had used the following
       syntax...

              <lib dir="./lib" />

Also in collections1/conf/README.txt  it is suggested that you use ./lib
 but that README.txt file needs editing as it is very confusing about
whether it is talking about Solr Home or the Instance Directory in the text
excerpted below.

I would assume that the conf and data directories have to be subdirectories
of the instanceDir, since I assume they are set per core.   So in the
excerpt below the discussion of the sub-directories should apply to the
instanceDir not Solr Home.

"Example SolrCore Instance Directory
=============================
This directory is provided as an example of what an "Instance Directory
should look like for a SolrCore

It's not strictly necessary that you copy all of the files in this
directory when setting up a new SolrCores, but it is recommended.

Basic Directory Structure

The Solr Home directory typically contains the following sub-directorie:

  conf/
        This directory is mandatory and must contain your solrconfig.xml
        and schema.xml.  Any other optional configuration files would also
        be kept here.

   data/
        This directory is the default location where Solr will keep your
lib/