The felinids were testing out their homes in captivity- examining the
furnishings (bed, sink...), banging on the walls, and testing the forcefield. 
They were talking in their native language, so their jailers could not
understand them.  A few of them also growled, roared voicing their
displeasure. Or that was what an untrained being would say.  They were
communicating in "other means" that non-felinids could not even hope to
comprehend.  It was more primitive, primal so to speak.  They identified their
captives as prey species...

<[They don't seem as advanced as we are,]> noted the major.  <[They have not
cleansed themselves of the need for the hunt.  Even the Kzinti, as vicious as
they can be, did not think in terms of predator and prey.>]

Kit nodded.  <[I noticed that.  They seem to be socially where we were a
thousand years ago.  The one I beamed up with, the one that looks like an
officer, he talked about dying for his clan.  I love the Mikan as much as
anyone, but if I were to die, I would think of my race first.  They still
think along distinct clan lines.]>

<[Perhaps we can use that somehow.]>

Kit nodded.  <[I think I'll go see what they think of me, someone not a 'prey
species'.  Stay here,]> she said, getting up.  <[Keep an eye on how they react
when we talk.  These humans don't catch our non-verbal communications very
well.]> The major nodded.

Kit went down the corridor, making sure her fresh uniform covered her wounds
and checking to make sure her mane was presentable.  Reassured she appeared
very command-like, she went to the detention wing, to the cell with the one
she brought back, the one that seemed to be an officer.  She walked up to the
force field and stood there, eyes leveled on the prisoners.

(how do they react?)

Reply via email to