On 08/24/2011 01:41 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
Q: Why not just another log appender?
A: We believe it should be generic, agnostic and reliable. Hence
the embedded database and thread black magic are involved among other
things. :)

This is where I disagree. But I would like to see your code and maybe I
will change my mind.

Probably I had not the best explanation here. Actually, there *are* log
appenders at the Spacewalk part, so we just continue to use the same
log4j the same fashion in the Java part, Python logger etc. But the
appenders are actually an XML-RPC clients to the daemon. Then since you
have various destinations, like a slow and remote RDBMS, like other
solutions, the daemon is *separately* delivers them, after an event
already been accepted.

Q: How fast the thing is?
A: 1000 messages linearly per 0.42 sec per instance should be enough.

That is quite slow IMO for logger.

Well, if your admin can do more than 2000 changes-per-second,
then just let me know... :)

--
Bo Maryniuk

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer
HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)